CT Common Core Writing Standards for 2nd GradeBy Shonda RogersCommon Core
On July 7, 2010, the Connecticut State Board of Education adopted the new Common Core State Standards. While the Standards have yet to be implemented (and will most likely undergo further changes), what follows is a summary of the National and Connecticut State Writing Standards for 2nd Grade Students (broken down into four levels of common categories). These will eventually be implemented statewide, including all of Fairfield County:
Text Types and Purposes
- Write opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply reasons that support the opinion, use linking words (e.g., because, and, also) to connect opinion and reasons, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Production and Distribution of Writing
- (Begins in grade 3)
- With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.
- With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
- Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
- Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
- (Begins in Grade 4)
Range of Writing
- (Begins in Grade 3)